31th July - 6th Aug London classical music
This week is going to be super busy. Proms go baroque, with a lot of interesting things there. On the other side, Wigmore Hall and ROH opera closed for vacation until September
- Mon 31 Jul
- PROMS From the Kalevala to Kaustinen: Finnish Folk and Baroque Music [Sold out]
- PROMS Monteverdi Vespers of 1610 with Pygmalion and Raphaël Pichon [Tickets available]. After latest Pygmalion recordings (Bach Lutheran masses, Mozart arias) I am really excited about this concert. SkateArtGuy will be there
- Saint James’s Piccadily Lunchtime recital: Jessica Zhu plays Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No.2 and Brahms’s Variations and Fugue on a Theme by Handel, Op.24 FREE
- Tue 1 Aug
- PROMS Handel - Israel in Egypt with OAE and William Christie [Tickets available]. Last concert with Christie conducting the OAE at St. John (Bach goes to Paris) was amazing. Now it’s time to get Handel a little bit of French style on top of the traditional English one. SkateArtGuy will be there
- Wed 2 Aug
- Saint James’s Piccadily Lunchtime recital: CONCENTUS VII BAROQUE ENSEMBLE plays Handel and Telemann [FREE]
- PROMS Esa-Pekka Salonen conducts Philharmonia Orchestra playing Ravel and Adams [Tickets available]. If you are into contemporary music this is for you.
- PROMS John Eliot Gardiner with the EBS and the Monteverdi Choir play Bach and Schütz [Tickets available] Late concert with one of the things J.E. Gardiner does best: cantatas. Don’t miss it. SkateArtGuy will be there
- Thu 3 Aug
- Fri 4 Aug
- Saint James’s Piccadily Lunchtime recital: Nicholas Mogg, baritone and Jâms Coleman piano: Lieder recital [FREE]
- Sat 5 Aug
- PROMS National Youth Orchestra of Great Britain plays Coll, Adès and Stravinsky The Rite of Spring [Tickets available]. How these kids will play such difficult works?
- Sun 6 Aug
- PROMS Mussorgsky’s Khovanshchina with BBC SO Bychkov [Tickets available]. I was planning to go to this one, not having surtitles was more or less ok for the Fidelio as we all known that opera from memory, but 4 hours of Russian without understanding a word of the drama? Probably not.
- 31 Jul, 1st, 3rd and 4th Aug: The Cunning Little Vixen at Grimeborn [Tickets available]. Janacek delicious opera in an English version and chamber arrangement. SkateArtGuy will be there
- 1st, 2nd, 3rd Aug: Rossini’s The Silken Ladder and Offenbach’s A Husband at the Door at Grimeborn [Tickets available]. Another double bill sung in English.
- 1st, 3rd & 4th Aug: Mozart & Salieri / Zanetto at Opera in the city festival [Tickets available]. New festival in town. Interesting double bill. SkateArtGuy will be there
- 2nd Aug: Chabrier’s une Éducation Manquée at Grimeborn [Tickets available]. 2nd production of this opera in less than a month after the one by RCM.
- 4th & 5th Aug Janáček’s Diary of One Who Disappeared at Grimeborn [Tickets available]. Dramatic song cycle/Opera. Amazing and struggling work. I might go see this on 5th.
- 5th & 6th Aug Porgy and Bess at Grimeborn [Few Tickets available]. One of the most famous 20th century operas. I might go to see this on 6th instead of Khovanshchina.
- Sun 6 Aug: OperaUpClose: Poulenc’s La voix humaine [Tickets available]. If you haven’t seen it and want to feel the drama don’t miss it.
- all days: Tête à Tête Festival [Tickets available]. Crazy and amazing festival full of new operas. I don’t have time to visit it this week but I’ll do my best next one
Tickets on sale
- Royal Opera House opened last week General booking for its Autumn season: http://www.roh.org.uk/seasons/2017-18/autumn
- Royal Albert Hall opened last week booking for its classical coffee morning season: https://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/series/classical-coffee-mornings/
- London chamber orchestra opened booking its season Cadogan Hall. You can get tickets for 10/8£: http://www.lco.co.uk/concerts/
- Kings Place still have some saver seats (9.50£) for the OAE, London Sinfonietta and Aurora Orchestra: http://www.kingsplace.co.uk/whats-on
- Handel & Hendrix house opens Tue 1st Aug bookings for its new season: https://handelhendrix.org/whats-on/events/?category=concert